Last week I took an unexpected break from blogging with it being a long weekend and family visiting but I am back today in full force to share with you some of my absolutely favorite haircare products. In the past, I didn’t really have a “routine” and pretty much lathered whatever product I could find into my hair without realizing what help or damage it was doing. Over the past little bit, much like my skincare routine that I’ll share with you later on, I’ve been really paying attention to the products I use and what difference (if any!) they make to my hair.
A little background story on my hair:
Dry, thick, curly and frizzy. Ha! It’s so funny because if you look at pictures of me when I was around 7, you wouldn’t even think it was the same girl because I had blonde curly hair then! Since then, my hair has turned into a medium brown (I think, hehe) and the curls have definitely loosened up although I still have the odd ringlet. It is beyond thick to the point that I dread going to the hair dresser because I feel bad that it takes so long for them to style it! I’ve been dying my hair for years now along with using some form of heated tool on it daily so it’s really dried out the last little bit. I haven’t dyed my hair in almost a year now and try to get a regular trim hoping it will “heal” shortly.
As mentioned above, I use to throw anything and everything in my hair. Constantly shelling out twenties at Winners on random hair products that looked cool. Lately though, I’ve been investing in quality products that will not only last a while, but add the nourishment that my hair needs. So while a lot of these products are on the expensive side, a little does go a long way and each will last me months on end. I also tried to list the pricing for each product listed but in case I missed one, don’t worry because there are direct affiliate links to all of my favorites below because your girl finalllllllly figured out how to do that 😉Before I was using up to 5 hair products at a time without seeing any results. Now it's all about quality over quantity! Click To Tweet
5 Products I Can’t Live Without:
- OUAI Treatment Masque $32. Since my hair is so dry, I try to use a hair mask at least once or twice a week. I purchased this first month’s ago when my local Sephora starting to carry Ouai products and have been loving it since then. I was originally annoyed with how little product is included in the single packets but a little really does go a long way plus I only apply the masque to my ends only.
- Living Proof Night Cap $37. You need this, you just need it. I originally got this as a 100 point perk at Sephora which I would highly recommend grabbing if they offer it again because that tube lasted me many weeks. I usually try to blowdry my hair at night time before going to bed because hello frizz but sometimes, when I really want that added moisture I will rub some of this miracle into my ends and sleep with my hair in a low loose pony. When I wake up, my hair is not only amazingly soft but also frizz free on the ends.
- It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In $22. Although I usually try to focus 99% of the products I use on my ends only, sometimes the hair around my crown starts to feel dry and damaged from almost daily straightening and that’s where this product comes in. About once a week, I’ll spray this bad boy all in my hair right after showering then re-wrap my hair in a towel to fully let it soak in.
- Moroccanoil Dry Shampoo $29. When I say I’ve tried a lot of dry shampoos over the past few years, I mean I’ve tried a lotttttttttt. It seems no matter what new brand I test out, I always seem to come back to this one even though it kills me because it’s $29 a freaking bottle! I will say that it does last a long time though. When I first started using dry shampoo, I definitely used wayyyyyy too much. To the point where I was probably making my hair look worse. Now though, I take my time applying it, separating my hair at the roots to ensure I’m using just enough to freshen up my locks.
- Biosilk Silk Therapy $29. A must have product, especially for after I get a fresh trim. I use this on my ends after a shower, before blow drying my hair (when I’m not using the Night Cap). Not only does it smell amazing but it really helps to control the breakage in my ends and helps protect my hair from the harsh heat.
- Redken Pillow Proof Blow-Dry Express Primer $24. Smells amazing? Yes. Actually helps to decrease my blow drying time? I’m not sure about that. When I first purchased this product from my hairdresser, I thought it was the best thing ever but after using it for a few months – I’m not actually convinced it helps cut down time.
- Drybar Triple Sec $33. This product seems to have such mixed reviews but I really enjoy it. While I don’t use it solely as a dry shampoo, I do like t for giving me second (ahem, or third) day hair a boost of volume.
- Moroccanoil Smoothing Lotion $35. The only reason this product is getting a honorable mention is because I just picked it up about two weeks ago but I can honestly say that I absolutely love it. I’m so thankful my stylist told me about it! Not only does it smell amazing but once again you only need the tiniest amount, even I can get away with a pea sized drop and I have a shitload of hair on my head! (I actually used this last night and have been smelling my hair at work all day, non stop. No joke, I hope no one else has noticed! haha)
You’ll notice that I don’t have a hairspray listed above and that is because I can’t find one that I like and works with my hair! Every brand that I’ve tried so far has either left my hair sticky or crunchy – no thank you! Please tell me your favorite in the comments so I can pick it up to try!
Shop this Post:
What is your favorite hair care product?